| Every day my sister (Ana) and I play Draw Something together. This is my boss drawing of Monopoly (Which she got just by the drawing of the dude) |
| This red fruit is called Mamón, it's spikey, but the spikes are soft; when you peel it, the inside is very grape-like |
| This, along with being a partial view of my host mom, is a dollar store inside the Walmart. Just...think about that. (Also, yes, technically it's a 600 colonoes store, but welcome to CR) |
| So, before the kids get to the Foundation in the morning, I have some down time |
| Ok, a LOT of down time |
| Ok, so they got there pretty late this day and I just want to show you the intricacy of this next tower, level by level |
| Yeah...I used ALL the blocks that were in the container. I'm actually pretty proud of this |
| I feel it is completely necessary to share the blisters I had on my feet the first few days here. I am NOT used to standing on my feet all day. I will say, however, that the blisters are now gone! |
| Now for some pictures of the room! This is the Noah's Ark mural on one wall (the little kids LOVE looking at all the animals. The lion is a definite favorite) |
| This is the fruit wall. Those fruits are taped to the wall, and obviously, there are also the vowels there. A volunteer before me created these things; she was obviously very creative! |
| This is the wall of colors (made by the same person as the fruits and vowels) |
| "Let the little children come to me" |
| This is a picture of the sleeping Jared |
| Here's a full view of the whole wall mural |
| This is the view to the outside |
| Here's the view to outside from the doorway (so you can get a better sense of what it actually looks like) |
| Here's me, in case you forgot what I look like, also, look how great my hair looks! |
| This is what my wall now looks like--I was finally able to put up some decorations! |
| This is a painting I made on Sunday. The verse is Galations 5:1 "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free." |
| This is Valeria; she's basically my favorite right now. So easy going, so adorable--and bonus: she recognizes me! |
| This is Pamela, she's cute, but she's also mischievous and a trouble maker sometimes |
| This is María with Jared. It should be noted that Jared has recently had a buzz cut, so his hair feels awesome to touch |
| María soon found this out and had a ball following him around and petting his head (can't say I didn't do the same...) |
| Jared! |
| This is Santiago working with one of the volunteers. He is SO shy; to get him to come into the room was a huge accomplishment, the fact he's doing something with someone else is practically a miracle! |
| This is another part of the property; yeah, that's a mini pond/pool, yeah, be jealous |
| This is Jared, walking; this is a new development for him and very exciting! |
| Laura and I went out for ice cream after work today; for those of you who have been to Costa Rica, you know what this is! |
Wow, so that was a really long update, but hopefully you understand a little more what my daily life is like. Obviously I can't be taking pictures all the time and document EVERYTHING (also, that would be way tedious to look through), but hopefully this satisfied some curiosities you may have had. I'll be sure to get some more photos of the landscape here (I am surrounded by mountains and it is the best thing ever), and of some of the other kids I work with...and the other grown ups I work with, lol.
I hope you enjoyed this glimpse into my life--and if you have any specific requests for photos or information, let me know in the comments and I'll see what I can do.
Peace and Blessings,
Kiki
I loved the photo update, thank you! I cracked up at the one of Jared sleeping in the crip because it looked like Jarred Irby (or so I imagine) when he was a little tyke. Anyway, I would love to see pictures of your neighborhood and some city shots (perhaps when you take the bus on Tuesdays).
ReplyDeleteHysterical shots of your block building! (And the commentary, of course!) You are such a funny lady! Glad your blisters are gone. Thanks for the photos.
ReplyDeleteThought I would post something here too to let you know I posted a comment for your day 6 posting also.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking about it, and after seeing these pictures, now I believe I can put it into words what I was thinking about. All of the things you are doing, especially the mop and diaper duties sounds an awful lot like . . . wait for it. . . . .
PARENTHOOD. This will be great practice and experience for the eventual start of your own family.
However, I am absolutely sure you knew that already. :*)